Our history is one of stability, never stagnation. From our first day to the present day and beyond, our focus is always on the most cost effective means of meeting future needs while providing safe, affordable power today.
ODEC was incorporated under the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1948 as a not-for-profit power supply (generation and transmission) cooperative for the purpose of supplying the power its member distribution cooperatives require to serve their customers on a cost-effective basis.
ODEC purchased an 11.6% undivided ownership interest in the two-unit North Anna Nuclear Power Station, located in Louisa County, Virginia, from Virginia Electric and Power Company, representing ODEC’s first ownership of power generation.
ODEC began permanent construction of the two-unit Clover Power Station (Clover) in Halifax, Virginia, which would be owned jointly and equally (50% each) by ODEC and Virginia Power.
Clover Unit 1 commenced commercial operation.
Clover Unit 2 commenced commercial operation.
ODEC became a member of PJM Interconnection, LLC, a regional transmission operator, to facilitate the transmission of power to its member distribution cooperatives located on the Delmarva Peninsula.
ODEC began construction of two natural gas-fired combustion turbines units at the Rock Springs Generation Facility in Rock Springs, Maryland.
ODEC began construction of the Louisa Generation Facility, a five-unit natural gas-fired combustion turbine facility located in Louisa County, Virginia.
ODEC began construction of the Marsh Run Generation Facility, a three-unit natural gas-fired combustion turbine facility located in Fauquier County, Virginia.
The Rock Springs Generation Facility and the Louisa Generation Facility commenced commercial operation. The Louisa Generation Facility is 100% owned and operated by ODEC.
The Marsh Run Generation Facility commenced commercial operation (100% owned and operated by ODEC).
ODEC acquired transmission lines from Delmarva Power and Light Company in connection with A&N Electric Cooperative.
ODEC amended and extended its wholesale power contract with its 11 members through 2053.
Two of ODEC’s member distribution cooperatives, Rappahannock Electric Cooperative and Shenandoah Valley Electric Cooperative, acquired the distribution assets and rights to provide electric distribution services to customers of Potomac Edison Company of Virginia.
ODEC announced its intention to seek approval to develop and construct a natural gas-fired generation facility, named Wildcat Point Generation Facility, in Cecil County, Maryland.
Wildcat Point Generation Facility, a 1000 MW combined cycle natural gas power plant, located in Cecil County, Maryland (100% owned and operated by ODEC) became operational.